For the week of 13 October 2019
Joy in the crosshairs
Wunjo is the half-month stave through 28 October. Othala reversed is the intuitive rune, and Nauthiz indicates Awareness’ message to us. Read right to left is Wunjo, Othala reversed, then Nauthiz.
I truly believe that #theweeklyrune includes the keys to making better choices based on keen insight into the present, to help each of us be more active in creating a better reality for us all. That realization process includes learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal to accomplish that. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that we can become well Ancestors upon death.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices are usually Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
As we experience the change of seasons more fully, we’re reminded of the fragility of cycles. Birth, growth, death–each stage with its own purpose, experience, and wisdom, and ideally, each in its own time. The runecast this week asks us to learn to cope with overlapping opposites. We no longer have the luxury of time. The trajectory of humanity at this point is one of acceleration of all stages of cycle, happening at once. We don’t have neat, tidy experiences of each stage, anymore. That convolution doesn’t feel natural, because it isn’t. Yet it’s what we’ve created.
Part of our management of the cycles that work against balanced life–which we’ve put into place–is to create ones outside that trajectory. We must outcreate our own systems while enduring the reality of the imbalanced ones. This paintball splatter of cycles is probably the most chaotic approach to peace we’ve ever experienced as a species.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
Movement from Gebo to Wunjo is huge. It marks the end of the season of the first aett, which indicates personal accomplishment, rite of passage, and new challenges. What’s nice about the progression from Wunjo to What Comes Next is that it isn’t largely forward-focused. It’s very much intent on enjoying the here-and-now, which is the ideal way to spend this week. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
Kelley is an author, animist, and deathwalker in North Carolina. She teaches rune work, ancestral healing, and deathwalking, as well as mentors and leads the soul tending intensive training, The Spirited Path. As an interfaith minister, she has served her local community and an international client base since 2000 through Soul Intent Arts, and advocates embodied soul tending and sacred activism through Nature. #beyourcommunity