For the week of 19 July 2020
Tending Our Space
Uruz is the half-month stave through 29 July. Algiz reversed is the intuitive rune, and Othala indicates Space’s message to us. Read right to left is Uruz, Algiz reversed, then Othala.
I truly believe that #theweeklyrune includes the keys to making better choices based on keen insight into the present, to help each of us be more active in creating a better life for us all. That realization process includes learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that upon our good death, we can be well Ancestors.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
Uruz has come in with an intensity that can’t be ignored. Its natural timing in the runic calendar alongside that of the quickening emotional realities of pandemic life and focused wrath for systemic revolution are emerging as the moment many of us were born for. Now is the time of embodiment. The elemental perfection we’ve been waiting for is now to generate change, and how we allocate ourselves, resources, and relationships in this moment will set the tone of systemic change for a long time to come.
It is not coincidence that the parameters of this polarity shift parallel the pandemic. Enough of us haven’t realized how much change is needed until now. We haven’t known how deeply the disrupt from our collective awareness of All Things has affected all of our personal lives and communities. And now that we do, we can’t go back. Such is the ferocity of being fully embodied. Such is being Uruz.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
Uruz is embodiment meeting force (Fehu). It’s the point that we realize our highest executive functioning as souls in form and make deep use of it. We do things; we get shit done. We feel an aliveness that can’t stand not to. A challenge of this awakening is aligning deep intent, will, and momentum. As TWR has often indicated, skills and boundaries have everything to do with keeping such motivation grounded and functional. In addition to those, we’re not supposed to have to do it alone, and that company should include seen and unseen community. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
Kelley is an author, animist, and deathwalker in North Carolina. She teaches rune work, ancestral healing, and deathwalking, as well as mentors and leads the soul tending training intensive, The Spirited Path. As an interfaith minister, she has served her local community and an international client base since 2000 through Soul Intent Arts, and advocates embodied soul tending and sacred activism through Nature. #beyourcommunity
elder well, die well, ancestor well
So that your descendants grow from your wisdom.
So that you leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.