For the week of 14 March 2020
Mobility without stability
Tiwaz is the half-month stave through 14 March. Laguz is the intuitive rune, and Raidho reversed indicates Thnuder’s message to us. Read right to left is Tiwaz, Laguz, then Raidho reversed.
I truly believe that #theweeklyrune includes the keys to making better choices based on keen insight into the present, to help each of us be more active in creating a better life for us all. That realization process includes learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that upon our good death, we can be well Ancestors.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
Movement into Tiwaz is always careful. It speaks of a time of transition that we’ve not entered into lightly, and often enough, not willingly. This rune teaches us to develop the coping skills to roll with plans changing, particularly ones we were heart-and-soul invested in. This week’s runecast brings a reflective quality to Tiwaz, which again underscores that transition is passed and it’s time to get on with the processing.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
I’ve said several times in TWR and on What in the Wyrd that Tiwaz is one of my fondest runes. They all bring wisdom to the plate, though for me, Tiwaz typefies a life dynamic, literally a state of being that has defined much of my time in this plane. So when it comes in a personal reading or in season, I feel affirmed in its wisdom and skill in redirecting me to something better. It reminds me the hard inner work is worth doing. Whatever the current state, it won’t always be that way. There is life beyond.
So, how terribly fortunate we are that the framing runes this week give us insight into how to do that. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
Kelley is an author, animist, and deathwalker in North Carolina. She teaches rune work, ancestral healing, and deathwalking, as well as mentors and leads the soul tending training intensive, The Spirited Path. As an interfaith minister, she has served her local community and an international client base since 2000 through Soul Intent Arts, and advocates embodied soul tending and sacred activism through Nature. #beyourcommunity
elder well, die well, ancestor well
So that your descendants grow from your wisdom.
So that you leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.