For the week of 21 Febuary 2021
The Slow Build
Sowilo is the half-month rune through 27 January. Raidho is the intuitive rune, Gebo indicates the Dark Mother’s message to us, and the Ammonite occupies summer. Read right to left is Sowilo, Raidho, then Gebo.
The Elder Futhark runic calendar provides to humanity keys for how we live in season with All Things. Through #theweeklyrune I share the Futhark’s insight on how to live better as animists, to make better choices based on keen insight into the present, and to help each of us be more active in creating a better life for us all. That realization includes living with All Things as family, learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal to do so. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way that we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that upon our good death, we can be well Ancestors.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
The last few runecasts of the second aett have steadily built us up. They’ve focused on our full internal cosmology and how we could engage each week in a way that meets the needs of those aspects of self for the benefit of the time. It’s been a beautiful, concentrated emphasis on taking deep care of ourselves at intimate levels with the scope still on how we show up in the world. This week’s runes encourage us to slow every thing down and tune into whether all the self-exploration and change match the narrative we’re telling about ourselves. Even though we’ve done loads within, that doesn’t necessarily mean we’re comfortable enough with it to change how we present ourselves to the world. And that’s okay.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
Sowilo has us sitting very clearly in how we bring our divinity into form. Divinity isn’t just an idea or intangible aspect of ourselves, but a force of who we are that we manifest in actions, words, thoughts. The progression we’ve made over these last weeks in overhauling the inner cosmology has brought us into better alignment to know what level of us is active at any given time, to understand its viewpoint, and to synthesize that information through our divinity to know the best way to manifest it. This is good. This is empowerment and embodiment. What we’re being asked to do this week is slow down and refine that process. We’re not after an outcome. We’re not necessarily about the manifestation. Being able to sit with this process–all of it–that of the last few weeks and really stretch our skills into holding space for the process and nothing more… Us that. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
Kelley is an author, animist, and deathwalker on traditional Sissipihaw land in North Carolina. She teaches rune work, ancestral healing, and deathwalking, as well as mentors and leads the soul tending training intensive, The Spirited Path. As an interfaith minister, she has served her local community and an international client base since 2000 through Soul Intent Arts, and advocates embodied soul tending and sacred activism through Nature. #beyourcommunity
elder well, die well, ancestor well
So that your descendants grow from your wisdom.
So that you leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.