For the week of 29 August 2021
Raidho is the half-month rune through 29 August. Gebo is the intuitive rune, Fehu indicates Earth Soul’s message to us, and the mosasaur tooth occupies spring. Read right to left is Raidho, Gebo, then Fehu.
The Weekly Rune Free Version - Raidho for the Week of 29 August 2021
The Elder Futhark runic calendar provides to humanity keys for how we live in season with All Things. Through #theweeklyrune I share the Futhark’s insight on how to live better as animists, to make better choices based on keen insight into the present, and to help each of us be more active in creating a better life for us all. That realization includes living with All Things as family, learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal to do so. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way that we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that upon our good death, we can be well Ancestors.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
When we transition from Ansuz into Raidho, something magickal has happened. With Ansuz we first begin using our agency. It is the first rune that suggests we’ve come into understanding our power in form, grounded organization of the inner cosmology, and realized that the product of those factors becomes its own life force. It becomes inspiration that craves space in our lives. And once it starts to get that space it wants to expand in the world.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
Raidho is our first brush with craving expansion and following the impulses to give it. It has us literally (and figuratively) move around in the world to explore possibilities, find different ways to tell our story, and make elections around who gets to witness it. With this rune we begin to expand our life experience and clarify how we’re going to give it space to evolve. To do that well we need to have really good boundaries, but also be really good at navigating those of others. This week’s rune help us do that. With teeth.
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
I’m an author, lifelong deathwalker and animist, and the founder of Soul Intent Arts in North Carolina. For almost 25 years I’ve taught others to ethically build thriving spiritual paths as fit, embodied elders, who upon death become wise, capable Ancestors. My work is Nature-based, and focuses soul tending through the Elder Futhark runes, animism, ancestral healing, and deathwork. I’m author of Runic Book of Days, and I host the podcast, What in the Wyrd. I also write The Weekly Rune as a celebration of the Elder Futhark in season. Full bio.
elder well, die well, ancestor well
So that you bear your unique gift to the world.
So that you leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.