For the week of 19 April 2020
Mannaz is the half-month stave through 29 April. Gebo is the intuitive rune, and the collective voice speaking to us is….? Read right to left is Mannaz, Gebo, then ?
I truly believe that #theweeklyrune includes the keys to making better choices based on keen insight into the present, to help each of us be more active in creating a better life for us all. That realization process includes learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that upon our good death, we can be well Ancestors.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
Working with Mannaz through isolation has been challenging. We’ve had to cultivate deeper animistic relationships with the sacred seed to give it what it needs, all while discovering reserves we didn’t realize we had.
This week comes with challenges in company, likely again in forms we don’t expect though must find some resonance with to get what we need and to give what’s needed. That is the focus of everthing right now–our people, human and Nature-rooted. It’s not big spiritual outreach or even expectation of being deeply reached. It’s about showing up day-to-day, dealing with the vulnerabilities that provokes, and staying open to what is, without knowing what will be.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
Mannaz will continue to hold us in the place of careful socializing for a bit longer, which under the given circumstances will foster tension around what’s wanted and what’s needed. The tangle of wanting to share physical space with folx yet not getting energetically fed to be up to that task is a contrast that’s not characteristic of Mannaz, itself. With the Ingwaz initiation has historically come the assumption that as the sacred seed grows and becomes ready to step into its own spotlight, we are co-evolving the skills to do what’s needed for that to happen, so that we’re ready for the transition. We’re ready for the grief of the empty nest, the re-allocating of our own life force, and the recovery that allows us to grow from the experience.
There’s a very specific lesson this week’s cast is driving us toward, which the framing runes make evident. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
Kelley is an author, animist, and deathwalker in North Carolina. She teaches rune work, ancestral healing, and deathwalking, as well as mentors and leads the soul tending training intensive, The Spirited Path. As an interfaith minister, she has served her local community and an international client base since 2000 through Soul Intent Arts, and advocates embodied soul tending and sacred activism through Nature. #beyourcommunity
elder well, die well, ancestor well
So that your descendants grow from your wisdom.
So that you leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.