For the week of 12 September 2021
Grounding and embodiment
Kenaz is the half-month rune through 28 September. Algiz is the intuitive rune, Wunjo reversed indicates Nourishment’s message to us, and the Limonite is along for the ride. Read right to left is Kenaz, Algiz, then Wunjo reversed.
The Weekly Rune Free Version - Kenaz for the Week of 12 September 2021
The Elder Futhark runic calendar provides to humanity keys for how we live in season with All Things. Through #theweeklyrune I share the Futhark’s insight on how to live better as animists, to make better choices based on keen insight into the present, and to help each of us be more active in creating a better life for us all. That realization includes living with All Things as family, learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal to do so. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way that we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that upon our good death, we can be well Ancestors.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
Movement into Kenaz is usually welcomed and potent. This seasonal experienced of it will still be revelatory, though is likely to cause everyday disruption. This ruffle isn’t unlike our experience of Ansuz and Raidho, in that we felt deeply in our bodies what our truth is and the drive to carry it into the world. However, the dismissal of truth and giving it wings by our worldwide leadership triggered a collective tension that isn’t soon going away. That same disjoint between the personal experience of what brings life meaning and living in accordance with its guidance will also be fraught with tension.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
We talked a great deal in the last few runecasts and podcast episode about what it feels like to embody truth and it be wholly invalidated by the collective. For most of us, that relationship to gaslighting isn’t new. Having it on parade and sanctioned as Law while coping with collective stress response to that lie is new. Kenaz is the rune of inflammation needing attention, whether that’s the ideological fire burning down our life or a literal fire in the inner cosmology demanding attention. When we look at this irritation from a soul tending standpoint, we’re talking about the thing that inspires and motivates us, won’t let us rest until it’s done. We’re talking about calling, and where TWR usually gives us guidance on how to do that best with the runes of the season, the message is very different this year. The complication is real, though so is a way we can respond to it that validates our power. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
I’m an animist, author, deathwalker and death doula. For the last 25+ years, through Soul Intent Arts I’ve helped others to ethically build thriving spiritual paths as fit, embodied elders, who upon death become wise, capable Ancestors. My work is Nature-based, and focuses soul tending through the Elder Futhark runes, animism, ancestral healing, and deathwork. I’m author of Runic Book of Days, and I host the podcast, What in the Wyrd. I also write The Weekly Rune as a celebration of the Elder Futhark in season. Full bio.
#beyourcommunity ~ #youareecosystem
elder well, die well, ancestor well
To bear your unique gift to the world.
To leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.