For the week of 8 November 2020
Flowing on Faith
Hagalaz is the half-month stave through 13 November. Perthro is the intuitive rune, and Laguz reversed indicates Voice’s message to us. Read right to left is Hagalaz, Perthro, then Laguz reversed.
I truly believe that #theweeklyrune includes the keys to making better choices based on keen insight into the present, to help each of us be more active in creating a better life for us all. That realization process includes learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that upon our good death, we can be well Ancestors.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
I don’t know how many more times I can use the word ‘intense’ and it still have meaning. Our progression with Hagalaz has been… challenging? We started with heavy encouragement to have faith in processing our dead stuff, to hold space for the darkness to bring its own version of fulfillment. Then we progressed into the collective version of that with systems falling.
Clearly nothing has radically re-shaped in just the last two weeks, though it is reshaping. Radically. Hagalaz is the rune of external change that is kinda sorta in our periphery but not really assumed, until BAM. We’re in the Bam, right now. Traditionally folx hold Hagalaz as the weather, Nature doing what it does, which is unpredictable and sweeping. This runecast heartily encourages us to expand our understanding of Nature, and in doing so to prioritize how big the BAM really is.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
Perthro as the magnifier of how we engage Hagalaz this week puts things further up in the air. The rune of outcomes that are unknown and possibly unknowable, Perthro shades the chance factor of everything this week. Doesn’t make it worse or better, just catalyzes us to tend the details that we can, and hold space for the ones that we can’t.
One more time: we can’t control or change everything, but what we can control or change we need to. I feel like so much of the human experience is obsessing over things that our genuinely not under our purview, to the detriment of things that are. It’s not optional. Put down what can’t be orchestrated right now. Diva the shit out of what can. And what falls out side of those parameters, hold space for it as much as possible. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
Kelley is an author, animist, and deathwalker on traditional Sissipihaw land in North Carolina. She teaches rune work, ancestral healing, and deathwalking, as well as mentors and leads the soul tending training intensive, The Spirited Path. As an interfaith minister, she has served her local community and an international client base since 2000 through Soul Intent Arts, and advocates embodied soul tending and sacred activism through Nature. #beyourcommunity
elder well, die well, ancestor well
So that your descendants grow from your wisdom.
So that you leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.