For the week of 27 June 2021
Faith in Experience
Dagaz is the half-month rune through 29 June, at which point comes Fehu. Perthro is the intuitive rune, and Berkana indicates Delicately’s message to us. Read right to left is Dagaz above, Fehu below, Perthro, then Berkana.
The Weekly Rune Free Version - The Runic Year, for the Week of 27 June 2021
The Elder Futhark runic calendar provides to humanity keys for how we live in season with All Things. Through #theweeklyrune I share the Futhark’s insight on how to live better as animists, to make better choices based on keen insight into the present, and to help each of us be more active in creating a better life for us all. That realization includes living with All Things as family, learning to tend what can’t just be fixed, and using every tool at our disposal to do so. The runes are such a tool, and in the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. The runes provide one way that we can create ourselves as fit elders, so that upon our good death, we can be well Ancestors.
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- full audio recordings of The Weekly Rune
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
We so often focus on the extreme of an experience that we forget the relationships that comprise the experience. We also assume that where one things ends, another begins. As we close this cycle of working with the Elder Futhark through a full year, we need to take time to sit not just with the nuances of moving from one seasonal expression of the runes to another, but with those of who we are as humans and collectives moving into another version of ourselves.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
When the concept of faith comes up, it’s almost always with the understanding that we are sourcing it from something beyond ourselves–and not just beyond, but bigger than ourselves. The linear aspect of that way of thinking is that as animists, we are already in direct relationship with both the object of the faith and with faith itself. Whether we are aware of that is the question. It’s entirely possible that there are other beings involved in our relationship to the object and our faith in it, so there’s no need to entirely throw that idea out. The settler culture version of ‘beyond ourselves’ usually implies that which we cannot do for ourselves. Again, maybe. I’d like to come back to this idea that we are in relationship with everything, and when we become active in those relationships, those relationships become something beyond and bigger than ourselves. That is the alchemy of faith, and this formula is what the runes present to us this week. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
Kelley is an author, animist, and deathwalker on traditional Sissipihaw land in North Carolina. She teaches rune work, ancestral healing, and deathwalking, as well as mentors and leads the soul tending training intensive, The Spirited Path. As an interfaith minister, she has served her local community and an international client base since 2000 through Soul Intent Arts, and advocates embodied soul tending and sacred activism through Nature. #beyourcommunity
elder well, die well, ancestor well
So that your descendants grow from your wisdom.
So that you leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.