For the week of 7 January 2021
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
When we reach mid–winter, as many of us attest in the northern hemisphere, we encounter a place that is both hopeful and exhausted. We’ve come through the celebrations heralding harsh cold, and while still enduring what that means for our individual regions, begin to emerge from them weary and ready for warmth. Where last week’s runes had us examining a lack of social support (or janky support) while sorting out a garbled unconscious, this week’s runes have us sitting with that same kind of examining focused more on the body.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
Still working with deep relationship to spirits of place, Algiz has us clearly focused on matters of home and health. We are supposed to be supported not just in times of need but all the time, and in order to really make use of that support we need to invite. We have to recognize when it’s showing up in our lives, and we have to feed it through reciprocal showing up. I think a lot of times folx recognize the Nature Spirits in their lives and where support is given. Our version of reciprocity is often in lighting a candle, leaving an offering as shows of support. But then we go back to our lawn chemicals and SUVs, without thought of changing those habits as part of reciprocity for our Nature friends. This week’s cast focuses on being soul in form, not just us, but the entire world around us. All matter here is soul in form, and how we live affects how well our soul functions within our form. How we live affects how all souls in form function here. We can light candles all day and profess patronage to all sorts of spirit helpers. If we aren’t including our mundane actions as part of that patronage, well. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
I’m an animist, author, deathwalker and death doula. For the last 25+ years, through Soul Intent Arts I’ve helped others to ethically build thriving spiritual paths as fit, embodied elders, who upon death become wise, capable Ancestors. My work is Nature-based, and focuses soul tending through the Elder Futhark runes, animism, ancestral healing, and deathwork. I’m author of Runic Book of Days, and I host the podcast, What in the Wyrd. I also write The Weekly Rune as a celebration of the Elder Futhark in season. Full bio.
#beyourcommunity ~ #youareecosystem
elder well, die well, ancestor well
To bear your unique gift to the world.
To leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.