For the week of 31 January 2021
Through the muck
This is the free version of The Weekly Rune. Get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, by joining my private runes community at Patreon.
The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance and tend self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on soul tending services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, each half-month rune is one of the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (14 and 1/4 days, or a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices have been Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week, as it is revealed.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is, I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
Our time with Perthro had us double down on our wyrd check. It wasn’t the worst review ever, yet it uncovered unseen sources that deeply influence how we move through our time here. Along that line, Algiz moves in with a similar self-check, though it’s more personal and perhaps even obscure. The framing runes this week–and another visitors, whom I will detail later in the cast–all point to internal mechanisms and how our relationship to them is as important as our awareness of them.
Learn more about this seasonal progression, and how to draw its insights into the personal spiritual path in Runic Book of Days.
What does it mean?
Algiz is the rune of protection through where we stand. Its history is steeped in lore of land and Nature Spirits, and how humans relate to them. The implication there is that we should relate to them. We should cultivate and sustain close direct personal relationship to the land we live on, and all beings who cohabit there with us. The implication here is that we aren’t just neighbors to our Nature Spirits, but family, and we have to learn, apply, and continue to level up the skills to preserve that bond.
When we are capable of such intimate relationship to place, we are deeply protected wherever we go. Indeed, the relationships themselves and their bonds travel with us, and also create somewhat an opening to connect with spirits of place wherever we go. In the last few months of TWR, I’ve talked a lot about the Nature and energetic support that is inherently available to us, in literal spirits of place, and also personal and planetary Frithgard. That we aren’t raised with this natural sense of community and support is no accident, and is my felt sense of “the fall.” I experience that tale as the original media spin. However, this week demands that we breathe life into those relationships, and into the parts of ourselves that are going to need support from them. Read more…
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
I’m an animist, author, deathwalker and death doula. For the last 25+ years, through Soul Intent Arts I’ve helped others to ethically build thriving spiritual paths as fit, embodied elders, who upon death become wise, capable Ancestors. My work is Nature-based, and focuses soul tending through the Elder Futhark runes, animism, ancestral healing, and deathwork. I’m author of Runic Book of Days, and I host the podcast, What in the Wyrd. I also write The Weekly Rune as a celebration of the Elder Futhark in season. Full bio.
#beyourcommunity ~ #youareecosystem
elder well, die well, ancestor well
To bear your unique gift to the world.
To leave the planet better than you found it.
So that your descendants never elder alone.