Opposite the system
is still the system.
Transformation within binary and duality is merely rebellion. It’s not out of the box. It exists on the same continuum. To truly generate shift, we have to realize there is no box. When we can do that, we outcreate the system.
I have used the phrase “outcreate the system” a lot on Instagram and in blogs, but what does it mean? How do we outcreate the system? The opposite of a thing always originated from the thing–even when we think the opposite is a better system. Wanting not to be in the current system isn’t enough. It’s not enough to not be THAT. Announcing and even situating self as not the system is still within the set framework of the existing system, and within the philosophies of those who created and benefit from it. If we want to truly change dynamics, we have to originate our own healthy plan that enables others to do the same, and in order to do that well means maturity, accountability, and responsibility on many levels.
None of us have all of these things. We don’t, because the system is set up for us not to have them, because if we did we would step out of the system. Being out of the system isn’t profitable to those who benefit from it, and is a direct threat to them, as well as the system. As long as we remain marginalized, sick, uneducated, poor, and afraid, we’re controllable by the system.
How do we dismantle that programming in our own lives?
- By clearing out our unconscious. Confront what’s in there with a Dream Team of focused wisdom, skills, and resources. Heal your shit, period.
- By owning our biases toward self and others. Get the education necessary to sustain recognizing bias and releasing it. It’s not one-and-done.
- By allowing our stillness to lead. The place we reach in mindfulness is who we are without external influence. Our job is to hold awareness of that space as much as we can.
- By holding space for others to do the above. It’s not our job to drag others toward a pre-defined projection of enlightenment. Our job is to hold space for them to be who they are, and to set our boundaries accordingly.
- By setting boundaries. When we’re clear inside, we can hold the space for our external lives better. Contrary to the popular, “God doesn’t give me anything I can’t handle, ” guides can’t do this part for us. Ancestors can’t do it. Spirit Allies of any ilk–can’t do it. It’s solely our job to know what we can and should shoulder, and to put down what can’t. At the same time, it’s our job to know what we should shoulder, and to honor the boundaries of others.
That’s the basics. These are the starting points. The bigger work?
Show up for regional Nature Spirits. This is the above self-work externalized into Nature. This is animism. Not sure how to do that, let’s talk.
- Heal Ancestral lines, yours and the planet’s. If you don’t know how to do that work, set up a session.
- Show up in our community(ies). You are your community. There is no division. What you need, it needs, and vice versa. Be that.
- Ask for help. If you don’t know how to move forward in your life, on a specific dynamic, seek out the resources and people who can help you with that. Again, I’m here.
- Vote. Remember that systems are life force. They are alive, and they do not want to die. It is their nature to resist change just as it is ours–because we are all life force with agency. We can put people in power to stave off the system, while we also create beyond it. No love and light here, only do.
- Do our soul work. Beyond the emotional and mental health work is the tending of soul, which ever evolves and needs. This is not elusive technology. Soul tending is’t outside our access or capability. We can do that.
- Above all, listen, where the focus is not on you. Listen to what other people have to say about their actual lives. Believe them, and do what you can to support them and amplify their voices.
Unhealed trauma is patriarchy at its strongest. All that we do to outcreate the system is among the most sacred forms of activism we can undertake, because we not only cease perpetuating the system, we create a better way of being for ourselves and others.
This is our current collective requirement to rise to the position of elder, to become a well Ancestor.
‘But all of this stuff is basic healing, personal responsibility, and community accountability 101,’ you say. Yes.
Now you’re getting it. Those are exactly what the system doesn’t want us to do.
S. Kelley Harrell, M. Div.
Kelley is an author, animist, and deathwalker in North Carolina. She teaches rune work, ancestral healing, and deathwalking, as well as mentors and leads the soul tending intensive training, The Spirited Path. As an interfaith minister, she has served her local community and an international client base since 2000 through Soul Intent Arts, and advocates embodied wellbeing and sacred activism through Nature. #beyourcommunity