The Weekly Rune, Kenaz
For the week of 23 September 2018
Knowing the unknown
Kenaz is the half-month stave through 28 September. Jera is the intuitive stave, and Uruz indicates Nature’s message to us. Read right to left is Kenaz, Jera, then Uruz.
I truly believe that #theweeklyrune includes the keys to making better choices based on keen insight into the present, to help each of us be more active in creating a better reality for us all. In the Old Norse tradition, this process is wyrdweaving at it deepest potential. You’re currently reading the public version of The Weekly Rune. If you want to get the full benefit of the ad-free, detailed version every Sunday, you can show your support by joining my private runes community at Patreon. The paid runecast includes:
- more detail
- the current runes’ impact on human life force
- insights on how to best manage the curves and twists therein
- introspective prompts to nuance your self-work
- galdr of the runecast, with sound files and instruction on how to use each sound
- live video sessions
- runic insights, book excerpts, release news, free classes
- optional services with me
- discounts on shamanic services
What’s a half-month rune?
“Half-month” is an astronomical concept in which each month is divided into two parts: days 1-15, then 16-month’s end. In terms of the runic calendar, the half-month rune is based on the Elder Futhark, and governs for a tad over two weeks (a fortnight).
The Weekly Rune is based on a three-rune cast. Those runes are the half-month, the intuitive rune, and the overview. The half-month is a set rune, which for the most part follows the traditional ordering of the Elder Futhark. The intuitive stave (meaning, I draw it blind) indicates the life force most available to us, to the focus of the half-month rune into sharper focus. It suggests how we can best handle the half-month energies. The final rune (also drawn blind) provides a high overview of the current time, and speaks from different voices. These voices are usually Nature, Earth, Creation, though are sometimes others. I note who’s speaking each week.
New to The Weekly Rune?
- Catch a couple of my IGTV videos, which explain the intention and process behind the runecast, and what makes it different from other ways of casting.
- Listen to my What in the Wyrd podcast, which is available across all popular podcast platforms, including Google Play and iTunes. The latest episode discusses the nuances of Raidho.
- Add The Wisdom of the Runes Flash Briefing on Amazon Alexa for prompts to work with the half-moth rune throughout the week.
- A few people have asked the reason that I switch between different rune sets for TWR. The short answer is: because. The more nuanced answer is I ask which sets wants to speak each week. I don’t assume the same elements are in play according to the timing of the runes; I also don’t assume the same elements of my runes are appropriate to speak each week. I did a podcast on this subject, so there’s more info there. (See above)
- Also, for deep work on coming into relationship with the runes in season, check out my book, Runic Book of Days.
Runic Book of Days
Despite Hurricane Florence, and all the crazy, it’s out!! Yay!! Thanks so much for everyone’s support, getting Runic Book of Days from thought to page. It’s now available worldwide, as of Tuesday 11 September!
Last week Kenaz entered on a fairly positive note. It is ultimately about light shed on a tense situation, something that’s been grating finding relief, thus gaining movement on some dynamic that’s heretofore been stagnant. It meets its half-month midpoint at the Autumnal Equinox, which is the second harvest sabbat. Given that transition time, it’s appropriate that Kenazcarry some frenzied vibes.
What does it mean?
Kenaz is the, “Aha!” change rune. In its native time, it means we get elemental support to allow some suppressed bothersome thing to come to the fore. Most of the time when we talk about liminal awareness we’re talking about unconscious stuff–or the Jotnar. The ‘giants’ in Old Norse cosmology are the forces of Nature. Most often we think of those as being the law of gravity, mountains, or ocean currents. When we speak of the Nature forces within us, key among them is our unconscious.
Despite its beyond-reach feel, the unknown of Kenaz references a more obscure liminal awareness then our unconscious, which I refer to as microthoughts. They aren’t unknown, yet they aren’t known, either. They are the wipsy thoughts that come just to the periphery of our awareness, and we either can’t quite bring them into full cognition.
The rocking news around that is, Kenaz in season means we can handle it, now. We can let it come forward. Or maybe we already have, and we can now breathe through the life transition that allowing brings. The support is abundant to do exactly that.
Jera allies well with Kenaz, this week. Referencing ‘harvest,’ it reinforces that now is the time to let Kenaz do what it can in our lives. There is clear benefit from letting what we’ve held back. As Kenaz marks a micro cycle of harvest–the second harvest holy day (Equinox)–Jera represents the yearly harvest cycle. It brings a drive to inventory what’s working, what we need to do better, what we should never try again, etc.
This week marks a good time to take notes on process and how it supports life change. It’s also a good time to tweak that process, given the new personal revelations.
Uruz from the voice of Nature colors things a bit differently. Uruz references that our deep unconscious, the forces of Nature within us, as filtered through the experience of the body. What that means is everything I just said about the difference between the unconscious and what we simply refuse to know about ourselves is a little more murky.
The focus and benefit of Kenaz in time still stands, as does the support of Jera in refining life post-AHA! What’s offered from Uruz is the wisdom that we’re on the right track in allowing the meaning of our story to emerge. Nature knows impeccably that nothing can be held back. We can either be in the driver’s seat of that impact (shape the meaning), or we can be chauffeured who knows where to gods only know what outcome (have the meaning shaped for us).
This week be in the driver’s seat in allowing Kenaz to bring what it will, and respond with the bounty of Jera, the wisdom of Uruz.
For suggestions on how to do that gracefully, subscribe to my private runes community on Patreon.
Originally published on Soul Intent Arts.